Report to Police

What can I report to police?

In the state of New York, sexual assault is included in a wide range of conduct constituting "sexual abuse". This is generally defined as subjecting another person to sexual contact without their consent. New York Penal Code Section 130(3) further defines "sexual contact" to include "any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire of either party," and touching of the actor by the victim, as well as the touching of the victim by the actor, whether directly or through clothing.

For more information on what New York defines as consent, visit New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault’s website.

If you’re not sure that what you experienced constitutes sexual abuse, contact your Title IX Coordinator or the NYPD.

Back to top

How to report to police

You can call the NYPD's sex crimes unit by calling 1 (212) 267-7273. A trained police officer will meet you wherever you are, and will encourage you to go to the hospital to receive a forensic exam (rape kit).

Back to top

What happens after I report?

After you make an initial report, a designated Investigator/Detective may be assigned to your case and will follow up with you to determine next steps. Potential next steps may include:

  • visiting the scene of the crime
  • interviewing witnesses, and/or
  • interviewing you to gather more information

At that point they might decide not to move forward with a criminal investigation. If they do decide to move forward, the investigator will present the evidence and details of the case to a District Attorney, who will determine whether there is enough evidence to move forward with a criminal prosecution. The prosecutor may decide to pursue a criminal case even if you do not want to, however, you cannot be forced to participate in any investigation or prosecution if you do not wish. 

Back to top